There operates as a client/server system, in other words a program on your computer (the ThereClient) works in conjunction with a cluster of other computers owned by There to perform the overall function of simulating the MetaVerse and your avatar’s interactions with it.
As well as the normal modes of interaction with the ThereClient that MakenaTechnologies provide as part of their service (walking around, firing paintball guns, etc.) you can enable the System Cockpit to allow some more interesting behaviour. This System Cockpit and most of its behaviour is something of an “open secret” amongst Thereians: MakenaTechnologies have built the system to regard the ThereClient as entirely untrusted so unless there is a bug in the protocols used to communicate with the ThereClient you can’t get any additional privileges by fooling around with the System Cockpit. It can be a lot of fun, though.
The ThereClient also has a few additional features that are accessible via simple key combinations:
- Ctrl+Shift+D cycles through DoidVision modes.
- Ctrl+Shift+L enables the System Cockpit, as described above
- Ctrl+Shift+P toggles a PerformanceGraph HUD
- Ctrl+Shift+U toggles the UserCamera+ controls window.
- Ctrl+Shift+N cycles through the display of various zone boundaries, including neighbourhoods, lots and newer PortaZones.
- Ctrl+Shift+H toggles the hostHud.